Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers

Happy Mother's Day! Since this is the day to celebrate mothers, my blog today is of the appropriate topic.

Today at church I wonderful talk was given in sacrament meeting about Mothers. My good friend Shelby gave the talk. It was a talk that really touched me and changed my perspective. A lot of the time growing up my mother and I did not get along. Sometimes we still don't and it made it hard to see the positives about being a mother. Today my perspective changed. Shelby talked about the "Attitude of Gratitude" that President Monson talks about. He said "Mother, who willingly made that personal journey into the valley of the shadow of death to take us by the hand and introduce us to birth—even to mortal life—deserves our undying gratitude. One writer summed up our love for mother when he declared, 'God could not be everywhere, and so He gave us mothers.' "

I thought that was an amazing quote about mothers. It explains why the role of motherhood is so important. Although my mother and I have had our moments where we don't get along, she still is an important person in my life. Without her I would not be here on this earth. Today I decided to have the attitude of gratitude about my mother. I made a list of everything positive she has taught me and has done for me:

To My Mother:

The first most important thing my mother has done for me was bring me into this world. It takes a strong and loving mother to bring a child into the world. It's amazing how wonderful of a person my mother must have been in the pre-mortal life for God to trust her with his children.

My mother also raised me the best she knew how. What a strong woman she is for having raised 3 children under such low circumstances.

I'm grateful to my mother for all of the qualities and skills she's taught me. She's taught me how to love and care for those around me, even for strangers I do not know. She's taught me that reaching out and serving others is important. It is such a Christ-like attribute and I'm glad to have learned it from her. I've also learned how to have determination and to set goals. I've learned that although the road get's bumpy, I'll get to my destination if I have faith.

I've also learned how to be independent and to fend for myself. Having independence makes you a stronger person and gives you the ability to help others who are in need. However, she's also taught me that no matter how independent I become, I still will always need to rely on the Lord.

I've learned so many things from my mother and I'm so blessed to have her in my life. She is a beautiful daughter of God and I'm thankful to be her daughter.

To All Mothers:

To all of you beautiful daughters of God out there who have the opportunity to be a mother right now in your life, You are a special gift on this Earth. The world would not be here without you. You are our teachers, leaders, friends, and most importantly the women in our lives who could not love us more on this Earth. The role you hold on this Earth is the most important role that helps lead all of God's children to salvation. We thank you for all of your love, support and duties.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Mallory said...

Well said. I don't think we can ever truly appreciate our mother's until we become one ourselves. I'm looking forward to that moment. :)