Thursday, June 18, 2009

My More Active Lifestyle

So this Summer I decided to take a more active lifestyle, for two reasons. The first reason is to be more in shape of course, the second reason is to keep myself busy cause I tend to get bored during the summer. So in this new active lifestyle I've become more involved in sports and running. I'm learning new sports and trying to play on a somewhat organized team for fun. So I've been practicing basketball and softball right now, on top of my ice skating that I've been doing since January.

As it turns out, I'm terrible at basketball and softball. I'm not good at shooting hoops and catching the ball in basketball, and I'm not very good at batting, catching or throwing in softball. This has been very discouraging and I've felt like giving up. However, I've decided that would be silly of me to give up these sports just because I've never really played them before and it would be silly of me to expect to be great at them with the little experience I have with them. So I'm determined to practice and get better at them.

I've also discovered that along with this determination in practicing and increasing my skill in these sports that it is package deal with injuries. So far my injuries have consisted of a concussion from ice skating and a hurt elbow, bruised legs, sprained ankles, and twisted arms. I've come to the conclusion that becoming good at sports come with this territory and I should just get used to having these injuries. Good thing I have health insurance!

2 comments:

Patty Sampson said...

Yea, thank goodness for health insurance! Being on the other end of the injuries (meaning I already have them and deal with them daily) maybe you should slow down. You do have your whole life to enjoy new things....and live with the consequences of your falls. :) And you are too much fun to be a "sideliner". :)

nashdakine said...

Haha, you should have seen me when I first started playing basketball. I couldn't make a shot to save my life. So yes your right, it is ridiculous to assume you will be really good right away. But skipping out on practicing isn't helping you at all.